Astarion is a Companion in Baldur's Gate 3. Companions assist the player by joining his/her party and have their own backstories and unique characteristics. They all have their own Classes and starting equipment. Companions can also be selected in the Character Creation screen allowing players to play from their point of view.
Astarion prowled the night as a vampire spawn for centuries, serving a sadistic master until he was snatched away. Now he can walk in the light and has the chance at a new life, but how long can he keep his past buried?
Astarion prowled the night as a vampire spawn for centuries, serving a sadistic master until he was snatched away. Now he can walk in the light, but can he leave his wicked past behind?
Astarion Video Guide
Astarion's Starting Equipment
Astarion's Starting Skills
Where to find Astarion
- You will meet him for the first time during Chapter One. As you explore the beach area, you will come across the destroyed Nautiloid wreck and can go through it and slightly up a hill. You'll find him there calling for help.
Astarion Approval Guide
- Deceive/Intimidate Tieflings and ask Lae'zel to say "please" before freeing her from the cage, attack Tieflings, OR join Lae'zel against the Tieflings if you persuade them to free her.
- Tell Auntie Ethel about a Tadpole in your head in the Druid Grove.
- Try to persuade the goblin Guard outside the Blighted Village.
- Decline the Devil's invitation to remove your Tadpole.
- Respond to Volo in the Goblin Camp with "-".
- Kiss Novice Crusher's foot in the Goblin Camp (and steal the ring).
- Let Astarion suck your blood in Camp.
- Support Astarion in the dialogue with the team after the bite in the Camp.
- Tell Astarion that he can feed on enemies.
- Persuade him to share his dream with you.
- Say you'll "watch his back ( ... + if you watch mine.” - also works) in the same dialogue.
- Kill Gandrel (the monster hunter; down south of the Sunlit Wetlands / nearby Auntie Ethel's home).
- Agree to help tiefling Karlach from Tyr Followers.
- In the conversation with Shadowheart (after the dream with the city in fire) support Astarion's idea to continue using the tadpole's power.
- (After the next dream) say to Wyll that you are not going let the dreams stop you from using Tadpoles' power.
- Let Arka kill Sazza in the Druid Grove's Makeshift Prison.
- Tell Astarion that the refugees are desperate and will do anything after Arka kills Sazza. (Quest: Save the goblin Sazza)
- Tell Kagha the Archdruid you enjoyed her show after she asks if you think she's a monster. (Quest: Save Arabella)
- Walk in on a bugbear and an ogre named Grukkoh and Buthir having sex in an abandoned barn the Blighted Village.
- After walking in, tell Astarion it was fun (and disturbing).
- Tell the two brothers (north of the Sunlit Wetlands) they are on their own to find their sister Mayrina. (Quest: Save Mayrina / Deal with Auntie Ethel)
- Resurrect Mayrina's husband and give her the wand.
- Right after that tell Astarion that it was funny.
- Kill Priestess Gut in the Goblin Camp.
- Demand Boots in the dialogue with Tulla ( in the Underdark, Myconid Colony)
- Agree to kill the Duergar for Myconid Sovereign.
- Tell Abdirak you're curious and agree to be tortured (the follower of Loviatar in the Goblin Camp)
- Agree to open the gate for goblin raiders.
- Open the Gate for goblin raiders.
- Join Minthara for the Grove raid (It's possible without an actual opening of the Gates).
- Fight the fake god Boooal in the Festering Cove OR Let the Koa-Toes bow to you as the Boooal's chosen.
- Ask for "Compensation for Effort" in dialogue with Bark Root (Deep Gnome who was tied to the windmill) in the Blighted Village.
- Crush the Tadpole that comes out of True Soul Edowin.
- Say "They practically worshipped us, that could be useful" after Edowin's siblings leave.
- Attack the Druid Apprentice Nettie. (doesn't seem to work?)
- Agree to share your bed/sleep with Astarion at the Tiefling party at Camp.
- Choose the option to "Bare your neck, inviting him" in the bed scene.
- Kick the squirrel in the Druid Grove. (doesn't appear to give approval or disapproval -- Astarion has a negative verbal response.)
- Poke the bird Nettie was healing to death during the dialogue.
- Kill the Githyanki patrol OR successfully persuade Lae'Zel to "play along" and pull off the deception.
- Intimidate or provoke human and Zevlor at the Druid Grove.
- At camp, prior to resting on night 1/2, when discussing preferred methods of death, either:
- choose a method of death (decapitation, knife, poison)
- tell him "If I die, I'll take you with me." (after first picking "Try it and I'll spill your guts")
- Choose to attack Gimblebock and the gang near the ruins. (does not appear to work outside of initial dialogue option)
- Give Astarion the Necromancy of Thay tome.
- After purchasing Oskar, the artist, say he's your slave.
- Attack the Goblin Camp. (Quest: Save the Refugees)
- Volunteer to torture Liam at Goblin Camp.
- Feed the Owlbear cub at the Camp.
- Decline when Halsin asks to kill Goblin leaders.
- Laugh at Lorin (elf in Auntie Ethel's house) by pretending that you are the monster he sees. (Quest: Deal with Auntie Ethel)
- Choose to kill Kagha without trying to persuade her. (positive verbal response -- doesn't seem to affect approval?)
- Choose to spare Auntie Ethel when he surrenders during battle battle. (Quest: Save Mayrina / Deal with Auntie Ethel)
- Pocket the ring when Mattis asks you to choose heads or tails, followed by the response "being paid in experience".
- Choose to attack Taman and Gimblelock in dialogue outside the Crypt.
- Break Alfira's lute. (seems like this is no longer applicable)
- Say "Baa!" to the Redcap.
- Tell Shadowheart that they shouldn't rush through unfamiliar territory on Night 1.
- Tell Zorru to do what Lae’zel says when she asks him to bow. (does not seem to work?)
- Tell Shadowheart you’d like to hear more about Shar at some point.
- Intimidate the Ornate Mirror in the Blighted Village into opening. (Quest: Search the Cellar)
- Tell the Gnoll Leader to feast on the other Gnolls
- Agree to help Wyll save the Tiefling refugees in the Druid Grove.
- Say that the Druids overreacted when speaking to Marriko and Locke in the Druid Grove.
- Agree to help Zevlor.
- Smear dung on your face when Sentinel Olak asks you to.
- Let True Soul Gut in the Goblin Camp clear your mind.
- Promise Nettie to take Wyvern Poison if you feel symptoms of the Tadpole (after intimidating/persuading/deceiving her).
- Agree to help find Mayrina (on the way to Auntie Ethel).
- Read the Necromancer Tome from Search the Cellar.
- Persuade the Zelvor and Human to calm down when they're arguing at the Druid Grove.
- Reveal Astarion's identity to the monster hunter, Gandrel.
- Failing to persuade Astarion to explain his dream.
- Insist on helping Mayrina when talking to Auntie Ethel at her house.
- Killing Mayrina's zombie husband after bringing him back with the Hag's wand.
- Tell Raphael you would do anything to remove the Tadpole.
- While playing a Warlock, telling Astarion: "Raphael's only a cambion - we can handle him" (After speaking to Raphael).
- Find the evidence of Kagha working with Shadow Druids and expose her. (Quest: Save the refugees)
- Tell Edowin's siblings to find the beast that attacked them to take revenge.
- Giving the guy the dowry during the quest free the trapped man
- Agree to help the two humans being attacked by gnolls without asking for compensation.
- At camp, prior to resting on night 1/2, when discussing preferred methods of death, tell him one of the following:
- "I'd rather have one of the others do it."
- "I don't have to choose."
- "I can bear a lot" (after first picking "Try it and I'll spill your guts") *His voice dialogue sounds approving, but it says on screen he disapproves.
Astarion Tips and Notes
- Drow Thief build
This build uses Underdark equipment and accessories to maximize Stealth and slight of hand. Start the day by biting a humanoid. Make liberal use of his Stealth Attacks, Dash actions, Off Hand (melee) attacks, and Blood Sacrifice. Cast Magic Missile every day.
- Gets the ability "Vampire Bite" if you allow Astarion to suck your blood OR discuss that he is a vampire with him.
- (More to come later.) ---
Gale ♦ Jaheira ♦ Lae'zel ♦ Shadowheart ♦ Wyll
Telling Tracker Grikka at the Goblin Camp that you'd like to torture the prisoner yourself yields approval
he approves if you tell Skickpit to go to the surface after killing the 2 slavers, choosing another option in the following dialogue like telling him to hide doesn't change it.
Astarion disapproves if you agree to help the gnomes locate Philomeen and if you step in when Nere starts murdering them as soon as you clear the cave-in, he approves if you choose to do nothing.
when crossing the ebonlake, push the duergar off the skriff instead of talking to him -> astarion approves
Astarion approves of bard option while talking to nest-building bird in the grove..something like suggesting that song is better than a shiny nest.
Tell the Gnoll Leader to feast on the other Gnolls
he disapproves of giving the guy the dowry during the quest free the trapped man
disapproves of intimidating spike during blade of frontiers
I just can't figure out his character. Well, okay, he's selfish and loves dark humor, it is understandable. But his attitude towards slavery is something i can't understand entirely. Doesn't he suppose to hate slaveowners because of Cazador? Then why does he disapprove if we criticize one in the underdark and approve when we ask for a slave? He also disapproves when we choose to save deep gnome slaves. Wasn't he in their place not so long ago? Pls someone explain this for me, I would really appreciate :(
Them stats.... did they give 13 Wis so he could multi into ranger?
His character is so well mead I instantly dont like him and kill him.
I don't know. I just get the urge to kill him. He gives too much of edgy vampire feeling. Never liked the vampires.
Is this guy the mentalist?
You gain approval by obeying and killing Rugan for the Zhents.
You lose approval if you give Oskar 200 gold to return to Baldur's Gate.
As of march 27 21, patch 184.108.40.20625 - You don't get approval up with Astarion by kicking the squirrel. He just gripes that you ruined a good snack. No approval up or down.
he approves if you threaten the mirror in blighted village into opening
I am unable to give Astarion the Githyanki Half Plate, even just to put it in his inventory. The option is not available in the right-click menu, nor drag-and-drop.
Astarion approves when you tell Elegis that she is pathetic for being scared of a few goblins
When you Boo Volo off the stage in the goblin camp. Astarion's approval goes up.
Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but you get an approval rating up from Astarion if you Intimidate the mirror (something like blabla... damned the bad luck) in the cellar of one of the house in Blighted Village. (Quest: Search the Cellar)
He approves telling the tiefling kids that they are going to die lol!
You get approval if you fling dung in the guard's faces at the goblin camp entrance.
Number 18 of the approval down, telling Edowin's siblings to take revenge should actually be in the list of approval up. I've had the approval up prompt appear during my playthrough and have seen other playthroughs with similar results.
You don't get an approval from 26. and 27. anymore (letting the goblin raiders in)
However, you still get approval when you tell Minthara where the grove is.
Astarion approves if you pick the line where it says you will not be Raphael's pawn, in the camp dialog after the first encounter with Raphael.
He also dissaproves if you agree to help the two humans being attacked by gnolls without asking for compensation.
Astarion disapproves if you agree to eat the dead bird offered by the owl bear cub (for some reason...).
My first time with the interaction of him trying to suck my blood I just kept letting him carry on. on the 3rd round the cutscene ended and I woke up to a bloody Lae'zel corpse in one of the beds around the camp fire. Nothing happened to me besides having a dead party member. Luckily I was able to use a revive scroll on her lol.
He also disapproves if you, after persuading him to share the first tadpole dream, tell him he's a coward.
Also, I have the approval notification only pop up sometimes, and when I reload and do the same thing it doesn't pop up. Does it still count or is that a glitch?
He approves when you tell halfling vendor in Druid Grove that devilish magic will protect tielfings.
I hope selling him out to Gandrel has a follow-up in Act 2 once you reach Baldur's Gate. While it's sorta funny just for Lae'zel's reaction, it's kind of an underwhelming conclusion at the moment, especially for sacrificing a party member and all the potential interactions you miss by doing so. Maybe Cazador will give a cool reward, or maybe Gandrel can replace Astarion as a companion although that seems unlikely.
- Astarion approves if you throw a rock to (bear)Halsin when he is held captive by the goblins (Goblin Camp)
- When talking to the 3 ogres at the abandonned village, you can make them work for you : they will give you a horn to call them in battle. After the battle, they will ask if you want to continue the contract or stop here, whenever you'll choose to part ways, the ogre will ask to get a lick of you skin, if you say yes, Astarion will approve.
[SPOILERS AHEAD REGARDING COMPANION AFFECTION]
I seen a few people wondering how to gain affection of certain characters, and for those of you interested in starting a love story with... Well, anyone, I thought you might find my experience interesting:
Originally, I didn't mean to romance any character at all. Not because there is anything wrong with them in particular, but none of them really felt like a good fit for my ranger lady. Astarion is cool and all, but his preference for "evil" choices made him a "nope" for this particular character's playthrough. Gale and Wyll just felt rather ... Ehm, not really into-the-wilds enough, so I just thought I'd ignore the entire affection-run entirely and simply roleplay my ranger and just deal with whatever negative/positives that comes along the way.
So, all in all my ranger has a personality more suited for Wyll / Gale (meaning she's generally a "good" person, wanting so save innocents - but she dosn't hesitate to kill those she deem deserving of it). Most of my calls are neutral and I've had disapproves and approves coming in and out from all of my companions (I really thought I was pretty much on neutral ground at best with most of my followers). However, after defeating the goblin leaders, during the celebration in your camp - ALL 3 OF THE MALE CHARACTERS SHOWED ROMANTIC INTEREST AND WANTED TO SPEND THE NIGHT.
I have not chosen any flirty options (that I am aware of) prior to this event - I did however let Astarion suck my blood on that one occasion, and then I asked him to stop at once. That's it. I even ignored my companions for most part, pretty much only speaking to them when they had the yellow " ! " above their head. Out of curiosity I accepted Astarions suggestions to spend the night - and the other two, Wyll and Gale, immediately expressed jealousy (literally out loud, but not in a immature way) when interacting with them afterwards (I interacted with ALL available NPCs during this evening just to see if there was any hidden conversations - the reason I talked to Astarion first is cause he had a " ! " above his head).
So what do I want to say with this? Unless you're literally roleplaying a perfect-fit partner (or testing how much the affection scale matters) for a companion; just do your own characters roleplaying - you don't have to backtrack each time you see a "disapprove"-marker. It really does not appear to be very difficult to create a romantic relationship with a companion, even if your character and the companion don't see eye to eye on everything. (like I said, I've had negative and positive reactions from all of them)
Gains the Vampire Bite ability even if you don't let him suck your blood. Told him no and he still unlocked it. I'm assuming you just need to have the "I'm a vampire" conversation with him.
Astarion also approves when you DON'T say you don't want to die, at least when you agree with him that decapitation is a good choice.
Disapproves if you choose "I'd rather someone else do it" when he asks you how you'd like to die in camp.
He also approves when you tell Edowin's followers to find the beast that attacked them to take revenge.
Exposing Kagha does not give you disapproval. Convincing her to change her ways does.
He also approves if you tell to Arabella's parents that Kagha will release their daughter when the Rite of Thorns is completed (while Arabella in fact has been killed by Kagha's snake)
I've tested and gathered full "approval up" list for Astarion based on my playthroughs. Two of mentioned here didn't work for me for some reason, so I've marked them like "not sure", because maybe it's just not displayable?
1. Deceive Tieflings and ask lLae’zel to say «please» before freeing her from the cage OR Join Lae’zel against the tieflings if you persuade them to free her
2. Tell Auntie Ethel about a Tadpole in your head in the Druid Grove
3. Try to persuade the goblin Guard outside the Blighted Village
4. Decline the Devil's invitation to remove your Tadpole
5. Respond to Volo in the Goblin Camp with "-"
6. Kiss Novice Crusher’s foot in the Goblin Camp (and steal the ring)
7. Let Astarion suck your blood in Camp
8. Support Astarion in the dialogue with the team after the bite in the Camp
9. Say him he can feed on enemies
10. Persuade him to share his dream with you
11. Say you cover him up ( ... if he covers you” - also works) in the same dialogue
12. Kill Gandrel (the hunter who is located nearby Ethel’s home)
13. Agree to help tiefling Karlah
14. In the conversation with Shadowheart (after the dream with the city in fire) support the Astarion’s idea to continue usage of Tadpoles’ power
15. (after the next dream) say to Wyll that you are not going to excuse for using Tadpoles’ power
16. Let Arka kill Sazza in the Druid Camps Makeshift Prison.
17. Tell Astarion that the refugees are desperate, and will do anything right after that.
18. Tell Kagha the Archdruid you enjoyed her show when she asks if you think she's a monster.
19. Choose to walk in on a bugbear and an ogre named Grukkoh and Buthir having sex at the north side of the Blighted Village in an abandoned barn.
20. Tell that it was fun right after that
21. Tell Mairina’s brothers they are on their own
22. Resurrect Mairina’s husband, give her the staff and right after that tell Astarion that’s funny
23. Kill the Gut
24. Demand boots in the dialogue with Tulla ( in the underdark, mushrooms camp)
25. Agree to kill dark dwarfs for “mushrooms” leader
26. Do not excuse for using the power of Tadpoles ( dialogue with the party at the Camp)
27. Tell Abdirak you're curious and agree to be tortured (the follower of Loviatar in the goblin camp)
28. Agree to open the gate for goblin raiders.
29. Open the Gate for goblin raiders
30. Join Minthara for the Grove raid ( It's possible without actual opening the Gates)
31. Fight the fake god Boooal in the Festering Cove OR Let the Koa-Toes bow to you as the Boooal’s chosen
32. Ask for "Compensation for Effort" in dialogue with Bark Root (guy who was tied to the windmill)
33. Crush the tadpole that comes out of True Soul Edowin.
34. Say "they practically worshipped us. that could be useful" right after that
35. Attack the Druid Apprentice Nettie
36. Agree to share your bed with him at the Tiefling party at camp
37. Choose the option to «Bare your neck, inviting him» in the bed scene
38. Kick the squirrel in the Druid’s Grove
39. Poke the bird Nettie was healing to death during the dialogue
40. Kill Githyanki patrol (not sure)
41. Agree to kill dvergars (dark dwarfs) for miconids leader
42. Intimidate or provoke human and Zevlor at the Druids Grove (not sure)
43. Choose decapitation during night 2 dialogue at the Camp
44. Kill Gimblebok and the gang near the ruins
45. Give him the necromancy of Thay tome
46. After purchasing an artist say him he’s a slave
47. Attack Goblin Camp
48. Volunteer to torture Liam at Goblin Camp
49. Feed Owlbear at the Camp
50. Decline when Helsin asks to kill Goblin leaders
51. Laugh at Lorin (elf in Ethel’s house) by pretending that you are the monster he sees
52. Choose to kill Kagha without trying to persuade her
53. Choose to spare Ethel when he surrenders during the battle
Also, it seems that about 35-40 are required for exceptional approval. When you reach it, no more approval displays except if it goes lower first
He will approve if you give him the necromancer's book from the "search the cellar" quest. He'll ask for it when you find the book.
Astarion disapproves if you promise Nettie to take Wyvern poison if you feel symptoms of the tadpole (after intimidating/persuading/decepting her).
Approval down: killing mayrina's zombie husband after bringing him back with the Hag's wand
One more approval: Let the Koa-Toes bow to you as the Booa’s chosen
Guys! Hells, what I’ve discovered!
I started another playthrough, and got 7 approvals of Astarion and 4 nights at the Camp so far, and A DIALOGUE with him, that I never had at my first playthrough! I wonder if I am alone in this?
The dialogue is very flirty: in fact, Astarion shows up that he has fallen in love with you. It starts when he talks about stars being especially bright tonight, and after - no spoilers.
So, why I am shocked: I didn’t see a single dream yet; I don’t know that he’s a vampire and anything about his background, but somehow I got this scene.
If it can help anyone, that’s what I did for approvals:
1. Deceived Tieflings and asked Lae’zel to say please to free her from the cage
2. Killed Gimblebok & gang near the ruins
3. Said Ethel about Tadpole in my head
4. Kicked the squirrel in the Druid Grove
5. Let Arka kill Sazza (+1) and then said Astarion that refugees are desperate (+1)
6. Chose decapitation in the Camp dialogue with him ( night 2)
Suppose, maybe the approval rate and the story point you are matter to get this dialogue?
Killed him asap and never regretted it. Damn lunatic, drawing a knife on me.
He also approves of crushing the tadpole that comes out of True Soul Edowin.
In the dialogue immediately afterward he will approve if you say "they practically worshipped us. that could be useful"
Also agreeing to be tortured/telling Abdirak you're curious are the same thing
A Vampire!! kill it with fire!!
FYI when "Stealing Tullas boots" - there's a current glitch where you can perform this over and over again to gain Astarion's approval. I did it probably 50 times until we became best buds, in hopes that Chapter 2 lets me romance him LOL
- ask for "compensation for effort" in dialogue with Bark Root (guy who was tied to the wihd mill)
Not totally sure, but:
- kill a githyanki warriors on northwest of the map, the ones Laz'el looking. He'll even ask you to do it.
If you cast "Speak with animals" spell on yourself, you can gain a little bit more of his upproval:
- speak with a squirrel near Droid Grove gates and kick it. He'll like it regardless if you have been lucky.
- speak with a wounded bird, druid Nettie was healing, and poke it to death trough a dialogue.
There was no way in hell I was going to take him with me just based on the way he acted and talked. I don't think I could stand to play with the affectation of his. I told him he could use my camp and went on my way.
One more approval when you agree to be tortured by Levietar priest ( Goblin Camp; castle)
More Approvals up:
- kill the Gut
- demand boots in the dialogue with Tulla ( in the underdark, mushrooms camp)
- agree to kill dark dwarfs for “mushrooms” leader
- do not excuse for using the power of Tadpoles ( dialogue with the party at the Camp)
When does his feeding scene appear? Is it quest-related or random at nights in camp?
Astarion doesn't approve offering help and does approve: jokes (black humor), suffering and death. In general.
Some dialogues contain double approval:
>>> If you choose to walk in on the two trolls having sex in the Blighted Village.
Afterwards you will have dialogue, choose "we need to wash our eyes now, but it was fun" (middle variant) to gain +1 more.
In camp romance scene bare your neck to give him an invitation. +1 more.
After saving Mayrina you will find witch's rod of resurrection. Go to the coffin, use it, handle the rod to Marina, let them be. Joke with Astarion about how fun her reaction was. And +1.
There are much more, that's what I've remembered for now.
He approves of telling Abdirak you're curious as well (the follower of Loviatar in the goblin camp)
This is my favorite companion without a doubt
You gain approval with Astarion if you tell the two brothers looking for their sister, Mayrina, that they are own their own after their confrontation with Auntie Ethel.
Alternatively if you don't want to fight against the tieflings if you deceive them into leaving and then tell lae'zal to "say please" he also approves.
He disapproves if you persuade the Tiefling and Human to calm down when they're arguing at the Druid's Grove. It doesn't appear as though he will approve of any of the options available
If you agree to share your bed with him after the tiefling party at camp he will approve.
He disapproved almost everything I did up until that point but now he seems to like me.
If you choose to walk in on the two trolls having sex in the Blighted Village, he will approve. Wyll and Shadowheart will disapprove
Next two approvals up:
- say that drink enemies’ blood during the fight is a good idea (dialogue starts when you say that you’ve been thinking about last night)
- in the conversation with Shadowheart after the Night 6, support the Astarion’s idea to continue usage of Tadpoles’ power
More to “approval up”: decide to kill a hunter which looking for Astarion ( the hunter is located nearby Ethel’s home)
Also for “approval up”:
- persuade him to share his dream with you ( Dialogue after night 4 at the Camp)
- say you cower him up ( ... if he covers you” - also works) in the same dialogue
- support Astarion in the dialogue with the team after the bite in the Camp
- agree to help tiefling Karlah ( don’t know the exact name, I play in Russian)
For approval down:
- take the vivern poison from the Druid apprentice
- agree to help find Marina/Morina ( on the way to auntie Ethel)
To those working on writing how to get his approval: I am so grateful to you, you guys are the best. I can't figure him out!
I killed him the first time I encountered him.
I don't take kindly to that kind of behavior.