Astarion is a Companion in Baldur's Gate 3. Companions assist the player by joining his/her party and have their own backstories and unique characteristics. They all have their own Classes and starting equipment. Companions can also be selected in the Character Creation screen allowing players to play from their point of view.
Astarion prowled the night as a vampire spawn for centuries, serving a sadistic master until he was snatched away. Now he can walk in the light and has the chance at a new life, but how long can he keep his past buried?
Astarion prowled the night as a vampire spawn for centuries, serving a sadistic master until he was snatched away. Now he can walk in the light, but can he leave his wicked past behind?
Astarion Video Guide
Astarion's Starting Equipment
Astarion's Starting Skills
Where to find Astarion
- You will meet him for the first time during Chapter One. As you explore the beach area, you will come across the destroyed Nautiloid wreck and can go through it and slightly up a hill. You'll find him there calling for help.
Astarion Approval Guide
- Deceive/Intimidate Tieflings and ask Lae'zel to say "please" before freeing her from the cage, attack Tieflings, OR join Lae'zel against the Tieflings if you persuade them to free her.
- Ask the fishermen to hand over their valuables. (this doesn't work?)
- Tell Auntie Ethel about a Tadpole in your head in the Druid Grove.
- Try to persuade the goblin Guard outside the Blighted Village.
- Decline the Devil's invitation to remove your Tadpole.
- Respond to Volo in the Goblin Camp with "-".
- Kiss Novice Crusher's foot in the Goblin Camp (and steal the ring).
- Let Astarion suck your blood in Camp.
- Support Astarion in the dialogue with the team after the bite in the Camp.
- Tell Astarion that he can feed on enemies.
- Persuade him to share his dream with you.
- Say you'll "watch his back ( ... + if you watch mine.” - also works) in the same dialogue.
- Kill Gandrel (the monster hunter; down south of the Sunlit Wetlands / nearby Auntie Ethel's home).
- Agree to help tiefling Karlach from Tyr Followers.
- In the conversation with Shadowheart (after the dream with the city in fire) support Astarion's idea to continue using the tadpole's power.
- (After the next dream) say to Wyll that you are not going let the dreams stop you from using Tadpoles' power.
- Let Arka kill Sazza in the Druid Grove's Makeshift Prison.
- Tell Astarion that the refugees are desperate and will do anything after Arka kills Sazza. (Quest: Save the goblin Sazza)
- Tell Kagha the Archdruid you enjoyed her show after she asks if you think she's a monster. (Quest: Save Arabella)
- Walk in on a bugbear and an ogre named Grukkoh and Buthir having sex in an abandoned barn the Blighted Village.
- After walking in, tell Astarion it was fun (and disturbing).
- Tell the two brothers (north of the Sunlit Wetlands) they are on their own to find their sister Mayrina. (Quest: Save Mayrina / Deal with Auntie Ethel)
- Resurrect Mayrina's husband and give her the wand.
- Right after that tell Astarion that it was funny.
- Kill Priestess Gut in the Goblin Camp.
- Demand Boots in the dialogue with Tulla ( in the Underdark, Myconid Colony)
- Agree to kill the Duergar for Myconid Sovereign.
- Tell Abdirak you're curious and agree to be tortured (the follower of Loviatar in the Goblin Camp)
- Agree to open the gate for goblin raiders.
- Open the Gate for goblin raiders.
- Join Minthara for the Grove raid (It's possible without an actual opening of the Gates).
- Fight the fake god Boooal in the Festering Cove OR Let the Koa-Toes bow to you as the Boooal's chosen.
- Ask for "Compensation for Effort" in dialogue with Bark Root (Deep Gnome who was tied to the windmill) in the Blighted Village.
- Crush the Tadpole that comes out of True Soul Edowin.
- Say "They practically worshipped us, that could be useful" after Edowin's siblings leave.
- Attack the Druid Apprentice Nettie. (doesn't seem to work?)
- Agree to share your bed/sleep with Astarion at the Tiefling party at Camp.
- Choose the option to "Bare your neck, inviting him" in the bed scene.
- Kick the squirrel in the Druid Grove. (doesn't appear to give approval or disapproval -- Astarion has a negative verbal response.)
- Poke the bird Nettie was healing to death during the dialogue.
- Kill the Githyanki patrol OR successfully persuade Lae'Zel to "play along" and pull off the deception.
- Intimidate or provoke human and Zevlor at the Druid Grove.
- At camp, prior to resting on night 1/2, when discussing preferred methods of death, either:
- choose a method of death (decapitation, knife, poison)
- tell him "If I die, I'll take you with me." (after first picking "Try it and I'll spill your guts")
- Choose to attack Gimblebock and the gang near the ruins. (does not appear to work outside of initial dialogue option)
- Give Astarion the Necromancy of Thay tome.
- After purchasing Oskar, the artist, say he's your slave.
- Attack the Goblin Camp. (Quest: Save the Refugees)
- Volunteer to torture Liam at Goblin Camp.
- Feed the Owlbear cub at the Camp.
- Decline when Halsin asks to kill Goblin leaders.
- Laugh at Lorin (elf in Auntie Ethel's house) by pretending that you are the monster he sees. (Quest: Deal with Auntie Ethel)
- Choose to kill Kagha without trying to persuade her. (positive verbal response -- doesn't seem to affect approval?)
- Choose to spare Auntie Ethel when he surrenders during battle battle. (Quest: Save Mayrina / Deal with Auntie Ethel)
- Pocket the ring when Mattis asks you to choose heads or tails. (does not seem to work.)
- Choose to attack Taman and Gimblelock in dialogue outside the Crypt.
- Break Alfira's lute. (seems like this is no longer applicable)
- Say "Baa!" to the Redcap.
- Tell Shadowheart that they shouldn't rush through unfamiliar territory on Night 1.
- Tell Zorru to do what Lae’zel says when she asks him to bow. (does not seem to work?)
- Tell Shadowheart you’d like to hear more about Shar at some point.
- Intimidate the Ornate Mirror in the Blighted Village into opening. (Quest: Search the Cellar)
- Tell the Gnoll Leader to feast on the other Gnolls
- Agree to help Wyll save the Tiefling refugees in the Druid Grove.
- Question Astarion's attitude towards the controlled fishermen at Nautiloid wreckage.
- Say that the Druids overreacted when speaking to Marriko and Locke in the Druid Grove.
- Agree to help Zevlor.
- Smear dung on your face when Sentinel Olak asks you to.
- Let True Soul Gut in the Goblin Camp clear your mind.
- Promise Nettie to take Wyvern Poison if you feel symptoms of the Tadpole (after intimidating/persuading/deceiving her).
- Agree to help find Mayrina (on the way to Auntie Ethel).
- Read the Necromancer Tome from Search the Cellar.
- Persuade the Zelvor and Human to calm down when they're arguing at the Druid Grove.
- Reveal Astarion's identity to the monster hunter, Gandrel.
- Failing to persuade Astarion to explain his dream.
- Insist on helping Mayrina when talking to Auntie Ethel at her house.
- Killing Mayrina's zombie husband after bringing him back with the Hag's wand.
- Tell Raphael you would do anything to remove the Tadpole.
- While playing a Warlock, telling Astarion: "Raphael's only a cambion - we can handle him" (After speaking to Raphael).
- Find the evidence of Kagha working with Shadow Druids and expose her. (Quest: Save the refugees)
- Tell Edowin's siblings to find the beast that attacked them to take revenge.
- Giving the guy the dowry during the quest free the trapped man
- Agree to help the two humans being attacked by gnolls without asking for compensation.
- At camp, prior to resting on night 1/2, when discussing preferred methods of death, tell him one of the following:
- "I'd rather have one of the others do it."
- "I don't have to choose."
- "I can bear a lot" (after first picking "Try it and I'll spill your guts") *His voice dialogue sounds approving, but it says on screen he disapproves.
Astarion Tips and Notes
- Drow Thief build
This build uses Underdark equipment and accessories to maximize Stealth and slight of hand. Start the day by biting a humanoid. Make liberal use of his Stealth Attacks, Dash actions, Off Hand (melee) attacks, and Blood Sacrifice. Cast Magic Missile every day.
- Gets the ability "Vampire Bite" if you allow Astarion to suck your blood OR discuss that he is a vampire with him.
- (More to come later.) ---