Save Mayrina Objectives
- Question Auntie Ethel
- Pursue Ethel
Save Mayrina Walkthrough
- At the entrance of Sunlit Wetlands, you saw two brothers accusing an old woman of kidnapping their sister. You may decide to intervene, or just step aside.
- The Sunlit Wetlands is a creepy place; at first glance, it's peaceful and full of sunshine. But once you talk to a sheep, and succeed in Animal Handling Check, you will realize that everything around you is an illusion. The real Sunlit Wetlands are rotten and decaying, and the sheep are actually bloodthirsty red caps. If you have Potion of Animal Speaking (can find one in hag's teahouse), you can talk to Addled Frog, and learn some info about Auntie Ethel. Return to her when you killed the hag for her present.
- At Riverside Teahouse, Auntie Ethel will pull you into a cutscene with another guest, Mayrina. Before Auntie Ethel notices you, she's demanding Mayrina finishes eating a pie since she's pregnant and eating for two. Then, she’ll draw her attention to you where you can introduce yourself. She then offers to help you remove the parasite in exchange for one of your eyes. (Your companions will disapprove that.) However, if you really agree to do so, she will fail, Due to it been tainted by strange Netherese magic.
- Once you have talked to Ethel in her house, she will teleport Mayrina away. If you search the house and figured out the fireplace is an illusion, Ethel will reveal her true form and stop you from finding Mayrina. (If you tell Mayrina that Ethel killed her brothers, Mayrina will call off the deal and initiate the fight.)
You may place your character on the second level of the house and sneak attack the hag (Also, try put some chests and other objects to block the staircase, that won't trigger the fight. You can even build yourself a bunker and shoot enemies safely.). Once the fight starts, all the red caps will also rush here to protect their mistress. Use pushing attacks and Grease spell to make sure no one can reach you.
- The old Hag will escape when she lost more than half the health. You need to follow her through the fireplace. (Theoretically, you can prevent auntie Ethel from escaping if you cast silence and block her movement with your party. If you killed her here, then all her minions will turn friendly.)
(Portal to Ancient Abode)
- In the old hag's basement, there are multiple people down here trapped. You can cast the Speak with Dead spell to learn some of the stories of Ethel's victims. To open the Gnarled Door, persuasion won't help, you need to pick up the Whispering masks on the ground and put them on. (Remember to take it off afterward, or you will be controlled by the hag if you failed wisdom checks.) Or, if you succeed in a hidden Arcane check, you will notice that the door is not real, and can simply be walked through
- You can Cast Protection from Evil and Good before, or shortly after equipping the Mask(s), to prevent the hag from take control over your party Member(s). With this, you can avoid fighting the 4 of Ethel's pawns (After the hag's dead, you can go back and talk to them). Also, you will be able to see, that the Poison-clouds in the next room behind the Waterfall is an illusion, which makes it disappear as soon as you get close. Be careful with the hidden flowers on the Ground. If you step on these, you will get damage, which can break the Protection from Evil and Good spell (Concentration), if the caster gets damage.
A good option would be to cast the Spell on one or two of your party members and leave the casters behind until you reached the Ancient Abode, then cast the Spell again on the members which were left behind (don't forget to unequip the Mask before changing the protected party members) and get these also down there without any fight or poison.
If you have only one party member that can cast the spell, you can sneak down, with only one, steal The Ever-Seeing Eye and equip it with another Party member. Now you have a second party member able to cast this spell.
- If you are not wearing the Mask anymore, behind the Gnarled door, you need to fight 4 of Ethel's pawns first (They keep rolling for wisdom checks to prevent fighting you, but the masks compel them to fight). If you keep wearing the Mask, they will be friendly and you can talk to, and pickpocket them. Then jump over the waterfall.
- The tunnel is filled with poison and explosive plants. The poison is an illusion, which you will be able to see, if you are still wearing the Mask. If you can spot gas pits cover them with something heavy. This makes it easier for left behind party members, which have no protection Spell. Or run through this area, or burn the poison then put out the fire with water. (Shadowheart has a spell to create water) You may cast Feather Fall on Lae'zel and use her special jump skill to pass most of the poison clouds. There are two exits in this Area. One (at a higher point, where you need to jump on a ledge, which leads to a Room with an Illusion-Rock (You will be able to see through the illusion while wearing the Mask) which leads to the Underdark area. The other exit at the bottom leads to the Ancient Abode where you need to go next.
- Ethel is waiting at the Ancient Abode. Although she now restored full health, it's actually very easy to kill her. Just sneak behind her and push her over the cliff (before patch 5):
- If you want to fight Auntie Ethel fair and square, be careful that she will clone herself three times making it difficult to know which one is real. Dealing a little bit of damage to a clone will destroy it. (Only the real one has debuffs on.)
- Shortly after Ethel's first cloning, she'll pull Mayrina from the cage and clone herself as Mayrina. The real Mayrina will say that she's not Ethel.
- The last time Ethel clones herself, she may turn invisible. You can see her dash to one spot where no clone appears. This is how you know that’s where she is invisible. She’ll likely stay in this spot until her invisibility buff is over. You can take advantage of this or use an AoE skill or arrow to reveal her.
- If you manage to kill Ethel with enough damage, she won't have an opportunity to beg for her life. This will lead to a disappointed Mayrina because of a deal she had with Ethel. However, if you get Auntie Ethel to around 10 health and then end your turn, she’ll try to convince you to let her go. She promises you any kind of power you'd like in exchange for Mayrina and letting her go. (Succeed in persuasion or intimation and you can have both.)
- Taking the power option will give you an item called Auntie Ethel's Hair that you can eat.
- Loot the hag's workshop, there are plenty of valuables (including an Uncommon amulet - The Ever-seeing Eye, and a rare staff - Staff of Crones). Among these treasures, there's a wand called Bitter Divorce that can raise the undead.
- Use the portal in hag's workshop to leave the tunnel. Talk to Mayrina again and use the wand. Her husband will be raised as a zombie. You can either keep the wand, put it down again, or give the wand to Mayrina. She will travel to Baldur's Gate to find a way to bring her husband back. If you destroy the wand, Mayrina will be angry at you.
- And lastly, you can not tell her about the wand, and pick some miscellaneous choices to make her feel better. Avoiding the issue of the wand will not end the quest, which will direct you to "Bring the wand to Mayrina."
- After dealing with the hag, you can come back to the Overgrown tunnel and check the trapped people. Some of them have had recovered their sanity.
How to unlock Save Mayrina
- Quest Giver / Location
Save Mayrina Rewards
Save Mayrina Notes & Tips
- When confronting the Gnarled Door, there is a hidden Arcana check that on success will reveal that the door is transparent and can simply be walked through. After exiting the conversation, regardless of passing the check, you can simply rotate the camera behind the door and instruct your party to go there by clicking on the empty space behind it. They will just walk right through it to the other side, without needing to wear the mask or pass the other checks to open it.
(Inside Overgrown Tunnel, there's a hidden portal that can teleport you to Underdark.)
Fun / Trivia:
- After defeating the hag, you can go back through the fireplace, where you can talk to:
- Efrin (Dwarf) with some different results
- Lorin (Elf) to learn a bit more about your Parasite
- You can talk to the 4 of Ethel's pawns (while wearing the Mask)
- The Halfling-Woman (Mask of Regret) will talk to you as soon as you get close by. You can learn something more about the hag here and she has some more dialogue options.
- The Deepling (Mask of Slavery) does not believes that she is wearing a mask, or that the hag is dead.
- The Human (Mask of Dread) tells you, that the hag can not Die, after you tell him she is dead.
- The Drow-Half-Elf (Mask of Revenge) will attack you, as soon as you chose any dialogue option. The other three will join the fight, so best not to talk to her.
- You can take the Head from Magron (Drow) to "Kill" her. There is some loot after taking the Head.
- You can destroy the Mirror (Calim).
- Doing so will afflict the attacking character with Bane as if from the spell until you complete a Long Rest.
- You can use a Basilisk Potion on Efrin (Dwarf) before killing the hag wich leads to a dialogue and then kills him from his Bite.
- You can shoot the Cage where Mayrina is trapped in to make her fly... kind of.
- You can cast Speak With Dead on the hag after defeating her.
- Helping Mayrina revive her husband after dealing with the hag break the Oath of Ancients.
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!