Wild Shape Action
Magically assume the shape of a beast. While in animal shape, you can't talk or cast spells.
When your beast form drops to 0 hit points, you revert to your normal form.
Action Wild Shape Charge
Wild Shape Action is an Action in Baldur's Gate 3 subclass choose. Actions can be used in both exploration and combat to maneuver across the battlefield or to harm or aid Characters. The actions that a Character can perform are based on their Class and Equipment. In Dungeons and Dragons 5e, Wild Shape can be used in different situations both inside and outside of combat for various situations. The same can be said for Baldur's Gate 3, but naturally tailor-fit for the video game format. That being said, each transformation provides different uses and functions for a variety of situations. In the tabletop format, a Druid can stay in their Wild Shape form for a specific number of hours determined by half of the character's Druid levels (rounded down).
Wild Shape Action Information
- Magically assume the shape of a beast. While in animal shape, you can't talk or cast spells.
You take on the game statistics of your beast form -excluding your Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. When your beast form drops to 0 hit points, you revert to your normal form, with the number of hit points you had before transforming. If your hit points dropped below 0 in beast form, that damage is applied after you revert. Spells that require concentration are not broken by turning into an animal. Your equipment merges into your animal form and won't have any effect until you revert.
- Wild Shape: Cat: Take the shape of a cat that can avoid attention or distract enemies.Your cat shape has 2 hit points.
- Wild Shape: Badger: Take the shape of a giant badger that can burrow into the ground. Your badger shape has 13 hit points.
- Wild Shape: Wolf: Take the shape of a dire wolf that can increase its allies' movement speed and distract its enemies to guarantee a critical strike. Your wolf shape has 18 hit points.
- Wild Shape: Spider: Take the shape of a giant spider that can enweb enemies. Your spider shape has 20 hit points.
- Wild Shape: Deep Rothé: Take the shape of a deep rothé that can casts dancing lights and charge its enemies. Your deep rothé shape has 23 hit points.
- Wild Shape: Owlbear: Take the shape of an Owlbear.
- In 5e, Druids under the Subclass Circle of the Moon are eventually able to transform into Elementals by using up two usages of Wild Shape instead of one. It is yet unknown if this will be implemented in the full version of the game or not.
- Type: Bonus Action or Action, depending on the Subclass chosen
Circle of the Moon Subclass Wild Shapes
- Requires Circle of the Moon Level 2 - Wild Shape: Bear: Take the shape of a polar bear that can goad enemies into attacking it. Your bear shape has 30 hit points.
- Requires Circle of the Moon Level 4 - Wild Shape: Dire Raven: Take the shape of a dire raven that can avoid attention and Blind enemies. Your raven shape has 21 hit points. Requires Circle of the Moon
- Requires Circle of the Moon Level 8 - Wild Shape: Sabre-Toothed Tiger (Bonus Action)
- Requires Circle of the Moon Level 10 - Wild Shape: Air Myrmidon (Bonus Action)
- Requires Circle of the Moon Level 10 - Wild Shape: Earth Myrmidon (Bonus Action)
- Requires Circle of the Moon Level 10 - Wild Shape: Fire Myrmidon (Bonus Action)
- Requires Circle of the Moon Level 10 - Wild Shape: Water Myrmidon (Bonus Action)
List of Feats that work with Wild Shape
|Feat||Earth Myrmidon||Air, Fire, Water Myrmidon||rest of the Wild Shapes||Note|
|Ability Improvement||INT/WIS/CHA||INT/WIS/CHA||INT/WIS/CHA||Rest by shape|
|Athlete||faster get up||faster get up||faster get up||STR/DEX is not working|
|Dual Wielder||-||—||+||Elementals got their own weapons|
|Durable||+||+||+||+CON does not give additional HP|
|Heavy Armor Master||+STR||+STR||+STR||DR does not persist|
|Mage Slayer||ADV, DIS||ADV, DIS||ADV, DIS||the reaction does not work|
|Resilient||+||+||+||+CON does not imply additional HP|
|Sentinel||ADV, no move||ADV, no move||ADV, no move||the reaction does not work|
|Tavern Brawler||hit||-||hit||+DMG does not work|
|War Caster||ADV conc||ADV conc||ADV conc||Shocking Grasp does not work|
|All other feats||- or useless||- or useless||- or useless||
Synergy of Items/Abilities with Wild Shape
No Item works in any way (neither active nor passive ability) except it is specifically said in the item description. There is currently a bug where you have to re-equip the few working items after the first wild shape to get the effect on an additional Wild Shape.
Generally, you can say: Every passive ability works, any active (Action, Bonus Action, Move Action, Reaction…) does not work.
Hit Point advancement in Wild Shape
Hit Points advance by a factor X, determined by the shape and the number of 2-Levelups since the gaining of the shape
The Factor X is as follows:
- Sabre-Tooth, Panther: X=1.15
- Myrmidons, Rothe, Owlbear: X=1.2
- Bear, Badger, Spider: X=1.3
- Wolf: X=1.4
The current HP are calculated:
Current HP = Starting HP * X^#of2Lvlups
e.g. Bear L8: current HP = 30*1.3^3 = 65.91 = 66 HP
Improved Wild Shape
Some abilities are improved by a die starting at Level 4 and the die increasing at Level 8 and another die-increase at Level 12. The Improvement is directly implemented so the Sabre-Tooth gets the higher die at start.
The Abilities are as follows:
- d4 at L4, d6 at L8, d8 at L12: Bear (Claws), Dire Raven (Beak, Rend Vision), Panther (Bite), Owlbear (Claws, Rupture, Crushing Flight)
- d6 at L4, d8 at L8, d10 at L12: Badger (Bite), Spider (Bite), Rothe (Gore, Charge), Panther (Jugular Strike, Pounce), Sabre-Tooth (Bite, Jugular Strike, Shred), Diplosaurus (Bite, Pounce)
How to Use Wild Shape Action in BG3
The different Wild Shape transformations have different Actions and Skills along with different spreads in Abilities. The available transformations in the game have certain uses. Wild Shape: Cat is not really intended to be used for combat. The form can be used stealthily to move across the field or to infiltrate certain Locations, but not for fights, except maybe to attract attention from your allies, but staying in cat form is pretty much a death sentence with its low health and Armor Class. Wild Shape: Bear transformation can siphon aggression with Goading Roar to serve the same function but with combat-attuned stats. The Wild Shape: Badger transformation's Burrow Action can render Enemies who're clumped together Prone, giving your team a good window to execute any plans. The Wild Shape: Spider transformation's basic Action provides a chance to poison Enemies, while its Web Action renders them immobile, which is also good crowd controlling multiple Enemies. It's worth noting that while the game says the webs are flammable, hitting them with any type of flame does not trigger any reaction. The Wild Shape: Dire Raven transformation allows fast, safe movement around the battlefield, which also allows it to take the Wild Shape: Cat's role in a fight, with an added capability of Blinding Enemies, and higher health stats. As you'd expect, the raven transformation can also allow you to traval greater heights than the other transformations, while the Wild Shape: Badger can't climb at all. Finally, the Wild Shape: Wolf transformation has a more synergistic type of play, with Exposing Bite allowing any next hit on the target to automatically become a critical hit, and Inciting Howl granting allies more Movement Speed.
Given that players are able to use Wild Shape twice for every short rest, players can combine two of these transformations as the situation requires in battle. For example, the character can fly up to an Enemy situated on a higher area and then transform into a bear to unload some damage. Players can also attempt to keep Enemies in place using the spider's web, and then keep them from doing anything for longer using the badger's Burrow Action. Druids under the Subclass Circle of the Moon are able to use Wild Shape as a Bonus Action as well, allowing even more intricacies in what players can do, as it allows for characters to transform and use a different Action in a single turn.
Wild Shape Comparison Table
How to unlock Wild Shape Action
Wild Shape Action can be unlocked by the following classes:
Wild Shape Action Tips & Notes
- Player notes and tips go here...
- Wild Shape will be considered a Bonus Action if you selected Combat Wild Shape (Circle of the Moon) and an Action if you selected Wild Shape (Circle of the Land).
- Feats are available while the Wild Shape is in effect. Mobile and Sentinel work for the duration.
- Any equipment worn when you change into the animal form will not have any effect until you return to your original form.
- You can use the Wild Shape together with Rage, but you need to Rage first before transforming.