Speak with Animals
Lvl 1 Divination
Gain the ability to comprehend and communicate with beasts.
Until Long Rest
Action Level 1 Spell Slot
Speak with Animals is a Spell in Baldur's Gate 3. This Ability allows players to communicate or trigger a brief response from animals or beasts. Speak with Animals is a Lvl 1 Spell from the Divination school. Spells can be used for dealing damage to Enemies, inflicting Status Ailments, buff Characters, or interacting with the environment. This page will cover all information related to Speak with Animals, including its benefits, limitations, tips, and more.
- Description: Gain the ability to comprehend and communicate with beasts.
- Level: Lvl 1 Spell
- School: Divination
- Ritual: Yes
- Casting Time: Action
- Range: Self
- Duration: Until Long Rest
- Requires Concentration: No
- Saving Throw: None
- Ritual Spell: Yes
Speak with Animals can be acquired by the following classes:
- Warlock (Beast Speech invocation)
- Wildheart (Barbarian)
- Oath of the Ancients (Paladin)
- Nature Domain (Cleric)
Speak with Animals can be cast by using the following Items:
Speak with Animals can be acquired by the following Races:
- Forest Gnome lvl 1: This is a racial trait exclusive to the Forest Gnome. A rare and secretive race, they are natural at stealth and moving quickly. Forest Gnomes tend to be friendly with other good-spirited Woodland creatures, and at level 1 they have the ability to Speak with Animals.
- Speak with Animals is a ritual spell that can be cast without expending spell slots outside of combat.
- Warlocks who choose Beast Speech as one of their Eldritch Invocations can cast Speak with Animals at will, without expending a spell slot. (This is a weird note, since Speak with Animals is a ritual spell and can be cast without a spell slot outside of combat for anyone in the game.)
- When speaking to animals, remember that just because they can communicate does not mean they are smart. Typically you want to still treat them like an animal and appeal to their natural instincts.