Lvl 2 Evocation
Create a dark shroud that Heavily Obscures and Blinds creatures within. Creatures cannot make ranged attacks into or out of it.
5m 18m Concentration
ActionLevel 2 Spell Slot
Darkness is a Spell in Baldur's Gate 3. Darkness is a Lvl 2 Spell from the Evocation school. Spells can be used for dealing damage to Enemies, inflict Status Ailments, buff Characters or interact with the environment.
- Description: Create a cloud of magical darkness that Heavily Obscures and Blinds creatures within. Creatures cannot make ranged attacks into or out of it.
- Level: Lvl 2 spell
- School: Evocation School
- Casting Time: Action
- Range: 18m
- Duration: 10 turns
- Radius: 5m
- Requires Concentration: Yes
- Saving Throw: None
How to Acquire Darkness
- Darkness can be acquired by the following classes and races:
- Darkness can be cast by using the following Items:
Darkness Tips & Notes
- Can be used to remove Cloudkill and prevent it from being cast in the AoE.
- Warlocks can see inside the Darkness spell if they have the Devil's Sight invocation.
- The spell is not considered an aggressive spell and won't make NPCs hostile. However, the NPC will run out of the spell towards the nearest area that isn't lightly or heavily obscured.
- Because the spell obscures vision within the spell and being blinded doesn't impact ability checks, you can hide within a Darkness spell and pickpocket relatively easily. This technique also works with the Fog Cloud spell.
- In combat you can cast it on your ranged fighters and scoot them in and out of the edge to keep them safe from ranged targeting and give melee enemies that come near disadvantage.
- Unlike the tabletop, the Darkness spell only obscures vision within the spell. The spell does not block line of sight and creatures can see past it just not within it.